The aim of the World Heat Flow Database Project is to develop a new research data infrastructure for the IHFC Global Heat Flow Database that offers a one-stop shop for comprehensive information on heat-flow related data, publications, projects, and researchers. Supported by the International Heat Flow Commission (IHFC), this new user-oriented web service will offer to the geoscientific community quality-proofed, up-to-date, well-documented, extended, enriched, and restructured heat-flow data. The project supports the Global Heat Flow Data Assessment Project, led by IHFC and Task Force VIII of the International Lithosphere Program (ILP).
The new technical database will reflect the criteria of FAIR and OPEN data policy and will support the interoperability with other geoscientific data services (e.g. EPOS). Core elements are the provision of globally used persistent identifiers: (i) DOI for heat-flow data newly submitted to the database, (ii) ORCID IDs to uniquely identify authors, and (iii) International Generic Sample Numbers (IGSN) for connecting data and literature with physical samples on which data were measured. Overall, the World Heat Flow Database Project will define the next level of geo-data infrastructure research.
The project (phase one: 2022-2025) is funded by the "The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft" (DFG, German Research Foundation). Project partners are the Helmholtz Centre Potsdam - GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences and the Technical University of Dresden. Contact the project PI.
- Dec 2023 - Community and stakeholder workshop
- Jul 2023 - IUGG summerschool and workshops (3-11 July, Berlin)
- May 2023 - 4th project workshop (Potsdam)
- Mar 2023 - 3rd project workshop (2-3 March, Potsdam)
- Dec 2022 - 2nd project workshop (1-2 December, Dresden)
- Jun 2022 - 1st project workshop (30-1 July, Potsdam)
- Jun 2022 - Cermak7 Meeting (20-22 June, Potsdam)
- May 2022 - Kick-off meeting
Members of the World Heat Flow Database Project team:
Publications and Outreach
- Fuchs, S., Förster, A, Norden, B. (2023) A new quality assessed heat flow database for Germany, Bremen, Germany, 06.03.-09.03.2023 (ORAL)
- Neumann, F.; Norden, B.; Fuchs, S. (2022) The Global Heat Flow Data Assessment Project and Fellowship Program RAUGM 2022, Mexico, 30.10.-04.11.2022 (POSTER)
- Fuchs, S., The Global Heat Flow Data Assessment Group (2022): The global heat flow database - status, progress and future projects, Cermak7: 7th International Meeting on Heat Flow and the Thermal Structure of the Lithosphere, Potsdam, Germany, 20-22.06.2022 (ORAL)
- Fuchs, S., Förster, A., Norden, B. (2022) Evaluation of the terrestrial heat flow in Germany: A case study for the reassessment of global continental heat-flow data. Earth-Science Reviews
Volume 235, December 2022, 104231, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2022.104231
- Norden, B., Förster, A., Fuchs, S. (2022) Quality assessment of German Heat Flow data: a contribution to a revised Global Heat Flow Database, Cermak7: 7th International Meeting on Heat Flow and the Thermal Structure of the Litho-sphere., Potsdam, Germany, 20-22.06.2022 (POSTER)